RB Leipzig, who was previously a contender for the Bundesliga, now has to fight for his place in the Champions League after Mainz on Sunday.
Julian Nagelsmann's team had a 1-1 draw against Freiburg last weekend. They fell back to fourth place in the table and are now seven points behind leaders Bayern Munich. But perhaps more alarming for Leipzig is the close race for fourth place in which they are now.
Both Borussia Mönchengladbach and Bayer Leverkusen took advantage of the Leipzig result and finished third and fifth respectively. The three clubs separated only three points. Luckily for Leipzig, Gladbach and Leverkusen meet on Saturday, but they need to improve their current form to regain control.
The hosts on Sunday could turn out to be one of the best opponents that Leipzig could face. Mainz fights in 15th place. The 05ers seem to be at the top of their struggle for safety with a four point lead over Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off, but when these two teams met the last time, Leipzig went 8-0.
A similar goal line would be a big surprise, especially given the recent draws that both sides have experienced, but Mainz will have to stop.
Where can you see Mainz against RB Leipzig on TV:
- UNITED KINGDOM: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Sports 1
Where can you stream the game live:
- UNITED KINGDOM: Bet365 * broadcasts this game live for account holders. If you don't have a Bet365 account yet and are interested in streaming Mainz vs RB Leipzig live, you can use this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on it shortcut.
- "Join Now" and enter details.
- Log in and transfer the new account.
- Select the desired event from the "Now Live" or "Schedule" sections in the "Live Streaming" category of Bet365.
* Geo restrictions apply, only 18+ must have a credit account BeGambleAware.
- US: US-based readers can try Fubowho currently offer a free trial.
Previous occupations of Mainz & RB Leipzig:
- Mainz (against FC Cologne): Miller; Baku, St. Juste, Niakhate, Martin; Fernandes, Malong; Onisiwo, Boetius, Quaison; Ji.
- RB Leipzig (against Freiburg): Gulacsi; Mukiele, Halstenberg, Klostermann; Laimer; Adams, Kampl, Nkunku, Angelino; Poulsen, Werner.
Jean-Philippe Mateta will push for a start for Mainz after missing the game at FC Cologne last week due to a suspension. Dayot Upamecano missed the draw against Leipzig last weekend due to a suspension but should return to Nordi Mukiele before the start.
To see players:
- Mainz: After missing the Cologne draw because of a suspension, Jean-Philippe Mateta is expected to return to the starting XI on Sunday ahead of former Premier League striker Ji Dong-won. The 22-year-old's season only started in December when he missed the first half of the season due to injury. He was transferred back to the Mainz team – scored two goals and scored in ten games. But now, back from the suspension, Mateta seems to be playing for a change after confirming his intention to leave Mainz this summer – ready to take the next step in his career. The Frenchman only joined Mainz in 2018 and scored 13 goals in his first Bundesliga season – a record for a Frenchman who defeated Jean-Pierre Pain and Franck Ribery – to reportedly spark interest from Watford, Newcastle, Southampton and Everton , although Mainz held on. It is unclear whether they can repeat this trick in the next transmission window or not. "The fact is that many top clubs are interested in him," said the Mainz sports director last month, adding: "But it is also clear that we absolutely want to keep him." If he leaves, he will do it without the help of an agent. "Many agents call me. I have a lawyer, ”he told France Football earlier. “I mean agents simply make money when they don't do anything. If I have to have one, it has to be someone from my family. "
- RB Leipzig: Yussuf Poulsen was the hero for Leipzig against Freiburg last weekend and equalized when The Red Bulls looked frustrated in front of the goal. It was only his fourth Bundesliga goal of the season, a big decline that scored 15 goals in 2018/19, but also one that showed how important the Dane was to Leipzig over the years. Apart from a late injury, Poulsen is about to make his 250th appearance in Leipzig. This would make him the first player to reach this milestone, and he is only 25 years old after having left the third division with the Saxon club. Poulsen will desperately try to mark it with a win and possibly another goal, though he's often happy to play the second violin after talisman Timo Werner, an understanding that makes the duo so devastating.
Goal prediction: Mainz 0-2 RB Leipzig
Table of the Bundesliga 2019/20 and current form:
- Mainz: DDW.L.D.
- RB Leipzig: DDDWW
→ Bavaria (58 points)
→ Dortmund (54 points)
↑ Gladbach (52 points)
↓ RB Leipzig (51 points)
→ Bayer Leverkusen (50 points)
B04 made it into five teams with half a century of points after 26 games. pic.twitter.com/WRFuSxcf4a
– Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 18, 2020
READ MORE ABOUT THE BUNDESLIGA:
Bundesliga 2019/20 top scorer list
Bundesliga 2019/20 most templates table
How to broadcast Bundesliga matches online live