ads :

Burnley improve European chances with win at Crsytal Palace

Release DATE: Monday, June 29, 2020, 9:52 a.m.

Ben Mee marked his 300th league appearance for Burnley with the winner in the Crystal Palace, who continued to lead from the front for the Clarets.

A week after the unveiling, like "Ashamed" he was on a plane with the message "White Lives Matter Burnley" The defender was impressive throughout South London during the club's 5-0 win over Manchester City over Etihad Stadium.

Mee ended his three-year wait for a goal with a header in the 62nd minute and sealed a 1-0 win to put Sean Dyche's men in eighth place in the Premier League.

Although Palace had the better result of the competition in the second half, he was unable to react and suffered a second consecutive loss.

Burnley was without Jay Rodriguez – the match winner against Watford on Thursday – and due to lack of options, Dyche could only replace him with defender Erik Pieters.

Although the Clarets had no Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes or Rodriguez, they had a strong start in Selhurst Park.

The only striker Matej Vydra was supported by Dwight McNeil, in an unfamiliar number 10 role, and he should have done better with an effort in the 19th minute.

Ashley Westwood's corner was only partially cleared and traditional winger McNeil drilled from inside the area.

Burnley number 11 was back in action a minute later, but could only shoot tame at Vicente Guaita, who was back after a thigh problem.

In the middle of the first half, Palace had a chance when Luka Milivojevic found it Wilfried Zaha He pulled Gary Cahill out of a short corner, but the defender shot at the volley.

In the 36th minute, Roy Hodgson's team moved the ball well, which left room for right-back Joel Ward, and his cross found James McArthur, but he moved over from the six-yard area.

Before the end of the first half, there was an exchange between Zaha and Burnley assistant Ian Woan, with the former asking the opposing coach to sit down, which added spice to the process after the break.

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) was needed early in the second period Jordan Ayew avoided a red card for catching Josh Brownhill's arm.

Referee Simon Hooper showed James Tarkowski the first yellow card of the evening, and James McCarthy followed him into the book three minutes later for a challenge against McNeil.

It would prove costly for the Eagles Burnley took the lead in the 62nd minute when Westwood's free kick found captain Mee and he bent down to drive home from 14 yards.

Guaita would have been disappointed after getting a hand on the effort, but the ball hit the post and rolled inside to give the Clarets defender his first goal since January 2017.

palaceAndros Townsend, Zaha and Ayew, who had enjoyed the better game after the break, had made every effort, but the visitors backed by Mee's exploits were certain to win twice in a row.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *